Sunday, April 4, 2010

A New Crosman 22XX--Finishing Up

Finishing up the bits and pieces of the 2250 pistol.

Wanted to add a hammer spring adjuster to my homemade end cap for the gas tube. A 1/4-28 socket head cap screw, a couple 1/4-28 nuts, spring and a piece of 0.500" drill rod will do the trick.

Threaded the two nuts onto the bolt and tightened them together. Chucked the bolt by the nut so as to not scar the soft jaws on the hardened steel threads.

Turned the head of the bolt down, eventually leaving a small shoulder for the spring to seat against.

Chucked the half-inch diameter drill rod into the Taig, faced both ends and mounted a knurling tool.

Set the knurls at 45 degree angles for a diamond pattern. Knurled both ends.

Spotted, then drilled with a #3 bit.

Cut off a piece just over 0.250" thick, then tapped that #3 center hole 1/4-28.

Installed the modified bolt into the end cap and then used a permanent loctite to secure the knurled adjuster knob. Note the rough cut end facing out.

After the loctite hardened, I faced the end of the adjuster knob. This also faced the center bolt at the same time.

Cut a decorative groove in the outer face.

Back to the remaining knurled rod. Cut a matching groove in the face of what will become the bolt handle. Just trying to make the parts look somewhat cohesive.

Flipped the part and cut the end down to 0.165" diameter,

then threaded to #8-32. Flipped the die to achieve fully formed threads and finished the cut to the shoulder.

Turned the center portion of the bolt handle to 0.184". This diameter seems to work well in all of my Crosman steel breeches. Blued with Birchwood Casey Permablue Paste.

Another view of the finished bolt handle.

And a couple views of the finished adjustable end cap.



With all the pieces parts finished, I found the rest of the parts in my stash and assembled the 2250 tube using a set of 2240 pistol grips. An inexpensive Walther red dot sight topped it off.

Oh, the Walther sight has a weaver base, so there's a Leapers .22 dovetail-to-weaver adapter in there, too. I like the lines and the blued steel look of the completed gun.

Must've drilled the grip frame for a trigger stop, too, at some point. The gun points well and shoots far better than it should. But I say that about all the Crosman 22XX guns. A trigger/sear polish and a replacement steel breach and they're impossible to beat for the money. I'll probably add a poly transfer post at some point as well as get some velocity numbers. I'd like shoot it for a while as is and start working on some other airgun projects.

5 comments:

Suburban said...

I'm looking into getting a pistol to practice with in the basement. Not looking for maximum power or to compete with Olympic shooters. .177 prefered.

What would you suggest, a Daisy 7X7 or some kind of Crosman pistol? Maybe something else entirely?

I don't mind tinkering, although I don't have a milling machine or lathe (yet). Have a Hill pump with gauge, for my Marauder.

derrick38 said...

Suburban Pistolero,

My personal favorite air pistols for the money are the Beeman P17, Crosman 2240, Daisy 747, Gamo Compact and IZH-46M. The IZH is hands down the best pick of the bunch, but all the guns on the list can be extremely accurate. The 2240 can be converted to .177 cal with an inexpensive barrel and a new bolt.

Suburban said...

Thanks.

I haven't looked at the P17, but the others I have considered.

Izzy sounds nice, but $$. 747 is popular, but the sights are iffy, and after replacing sights and grips I'd be left with a cast-metal and plastic pistol for nearly as much $ as the Izzy.

I guess it will depend on whether I can hold out for a BlueForkDesign grip-frame for a 2240. I guess that's the way I'm leaning.

derrick38 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
derrick38 said...

Lemme try this again w/o the spelling issues...

Suburban,

Have you looked into a Crosman 2300 Custom Shop gun? You can build it up in the caliber you prefer and get some nice grips in the process.