Friday, July 18, 2014

Early Sheridan Model C, Part 4

Making the pump cup adapter.DSCF2923I turned down some free machining steel. Made it long in case I screwed up. Drilled it out a bit.DSCF2927Bored to the minor diameter.DSCF2929 Had “fun” boring it out so it would have a lip that retained the pump cup. The tool has to cut on three sides which means that it doesn’t cut that well.DSCF2933
But the pump cup snaps in!  DSCF2938Some chatter marks. I’m not perfect.  DSCF2939Parting to length. I placed the old metal cup in the picture to show that the new part isn’t that much longer. DSCF2943
Getting it to run true.  DSCF2947Drilling. I didn’t want to break through into the cup chamber. DSCF2949
Tapping 1/4”-28 tpi. DSCF2951Definitely enough threads. DSCF2954Done.  DSCF2958 Came out well in my opinion. Next comes cleaning all the mechanical bits and reassembling, which is straightforward (I hope). Then some quick stock refinishing.

4 comments:

Andre Gross said...

Nice work. I've been thinking about buying a Taig kit, how rigid are they? I'm not planning to do heavy work but I want to make sure it's worth it because a lathe that is not rigid is useless.

I don't think I can go wrong for $180 though.

Nick Carter said...

Hi Andre,
I sell the Taig (www.cartertools.com), so I'm not unbiased. That said, they are rigid for the size and work well for smaller parts. However for airgun work it is often good to have a lathe than can handle larger diameter and longer work pieces.
Probably about 1/2-2/3 of the work on the blog is done with the Taig, the rest with larger lathes.

Unknown said...

Did you ever check the performance results on a Chrony?


Thanks,

Fred S.

Felice Luftschein said...

Not yet, I got wrapped up in some other projects and now we are happily moving into a new shop building so it will be a while before I get back to it.