Monday, October 11, 2010

Benjamin 3030 Disassembly, Part 3

On I go…

10081031

I took up the force of the hammer spring by holding the safety (smaller of the two screw headed posts) back and unscrewed the cocking handle.

10081032

Again I pushed down on the bench which took up the spring force and allowed me to remove the safety post.

10081033

Here’s a shot showing how the end of the barrel protrudes just past the housing.

10081034

With the safety post removed the barrel comes out.

10081034.5

Followed by the hammer spring.

10081035

The hammer is soldered to the barrel. Notice the revolving cutaway ring, that’s for the safety post and allows it to be rotated into the slot in the housing.

10081036

A collar is soldered on the barrel as a stop for the hammer spring, which is captured between it and the front (muzzle) of the housing.

10081037

Removing the safety ring. I rotated it and it dropped down.

10081038

The o-ring in between the brass and the spring needs to come out.

10081039

I pushed down on the spring so I could dig the o-ring out. It was rock hard, which is undesirable in an o-ring.

10081040

With the o-ring removed the valve spring can come out.

10081041

The now disintegrated o-ring and valve spring.

10081042

Then the exhaust valve drops out.

10081043

That’s a heck of a piercing pin.

10081044

The screen removed. I don’t see how it does much to capture debris?

10081045

The exhaust valve face. The flats on the larger diameter allow the CO2 to flow around the open valve.

10081046

The piercing pin unscrews.

10081047

The seal comes out easily. Not sure what it’s made from. I may try and see if it works before making a replacement.

10081048

A typical valve seat inside the valve.

More to come…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the piece on the 3030. I bought one on an auction site that looked great cosmetically but turned out to be a basket case on the inside- breach end of the barrel was broken, and someone had hammered on the open end of the valve body cracking the outer lip. I was able to get it to shoot after wasting a small fortune in co2 bulbs. In terms of performance, it is really an impressive little gun. I was able to obtain 35 powerful shots. And it is accurate. However, the build quality is poor. I expected much better from Benjamin.

Regards,

Fred S.

Lou said...

What's the right way to get a new O-Ring into the valve assembly. Trying to push the spring down and then get the O-Ring pushed into place
appears to need a special tool to compress the spring but at the same time give you working room to push the O-Ring into the grove just about the spring. I will be making such a tool this week and hope it works.

Unknown said...

I have restore a few of these over the past year( about 6 or 7) and the o-ring is a little difficult but I have been able to get them in without the use of a tool just takes a little patience and strong fingers, it also helps to have a supply of parts on hand to rebuild them, Baker Air Guns in MtVictory Ohio can rebuild these and that is where I work.