Saturday, August 2, 2008

Benjamin 317 Rifle Disassembly, Part 2

One last part to remove that's easy...

The manual safety catch unscrewed from the receiver.

Now to remove the valve for resealing...there's a square hollow retaining nut that comes out first. But the square wrench has to have a hole in it to clear the valve stem.

A blurrier pic, somewhat hard to focus down the tube...

I used my collection of brass tubing to determine what the square and hole dimensions need to be. I'll measure all the parts when I do get the valve out to determine what the correct dimensions are (rather than those that worked here...)

Milling the square after drilling on the lathe.

Rounding the corners off to fit the radius of the square.

The finished tool.

The nut removed.

The next bit is going to be more difficult as I need to make a puller that screws on the valve stem. Searching around the forums, it seems as though it's a 9/32"-32 tpi thread. Neither I nor my tap-happy friend Kent has a tap that size. I don't really want to order one so I think I'll try making one from tool steel. If that fails, then I will have to bite the bullet. It's worth noting that you can just buy a tool from Bryan and Associates ($12.95)and on Gunbroker, etc. I'm just trying to do it all myself, for the experience.

10 comments:

matt said...

what is the dimensions of the square retaining nut?

Felice Luftschein said...

I don't have one apart, so I'm not sure. Best thing is to buy the inexpensive tool from Bryan and Associates:
http://www.bryanandac.com/

Unknown said...

I would like to make the valve tool what is the dimension of the square

Unknown said...

What's the dimension of square valve tool

Unknown said...

hi i an old benjy 312 i have for 45 years and it has not been used in 32 years ,al the seals are nackerd i presume as it does not pump up. i wold loce the die-mentions / spec to make a valve removing tool, any one out there who can help would be appreciated. thanks alf

Unknown said...

The size is .340 inch square with 9/32 hole in center. File corners at 45 degrees to clear and your tool should be good to go...

Unknown said...

I made one by just looking at it. First drilled a hole in end of a brass faucet seat rod. Then ground two parallel opposing sides flat and then squared it off a little at a time and checked for fit as I went and it worked well to get the lock nut out. Now I am going to make the puller. Tap and die

Unknown said...

1 more thing, I tapered the square slightly instead of filing the corners at 45

Unknown said...

Lol I disassembled my 132 until I got to the part where I need a special tool, can anyone help me locate that tool in the year 2020? also I would like to buy a rebuild kit if there is such a thing for the 132? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Felice Luftschein said...

LMGTFY (search term: Valve Tool for Benjamin Sheridan):
https://www.bakerairguns.com/product/valve-tool-for-benjamin-sheridan/
https://palmerspursuit.com/products/valve-tool-pps-crosman-sheridan
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VALVE-TOOL-for-certain-Benjamin-Sheridan-Air-Rifles-Rifle-with-Soldered-Valve-/114017175852
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Benjamin_Sheridan_Repair_Kit_Fits_Some_Pre_1995_Multi_Pump_Guns_w_Soldered_Valve/624

Nick