Saturday, July 26, 2008

The 1377 Project, The Buttstock, Part 9

This will be the last 1377 post for a while, I want to move on to other subjects while I mull over what needs to be completed in the conversion.

I need a knurled screw for the stock slider lock. Drilling for a press fit on a #8 SHCS.

Knurling.

Cutting a shoulder.

Parting off.

Ready to press onto a screw.

Pressing matters.

Here it is with the stock retracted.

And the stock extended.

I need to learn how to take better pictures of rifles, when I get closer to being completely done I'll take some larger shots...

All that's left is maybe some new grips, some sort of sight although I may just keep the red dot sight, maybe a brass safety button, and some finishing on the aluminum bits. I don't know if I'll anodize, paint or just polish/finish the bare aluminum. We'll see. I also need to take some of the slop out of the pump linkage, it's a bit wiggly.

All that remains of the original 1377 is the grip frame, pump linkage, safety, sear, trigger, tube, grips (more or less, these came off of a 2300), hammer and hammer spring. This has certainly been a fun first modification project.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great improvements! A lot of work done!
Some time ago i had some ideas to modify my 1377 too, and your skills and axamples are fine to help me with some things, but unfortunately I no longer have acess to machines to built my ideas.
I hunt with my 1377c, by professional needs (I'm a zoologist, so I have to catch some fast-running or tree-climbing lizards), and I always prefeered scoped pistols to do my job simply because a carbine is too heavy and large to carry under jungle and its lianas all day long.
My idea is to keep the pistol as short as possible, but with a new "front sight-barrel support-pivoting pump axis (all-in-one) piece", and a tiny fake "muzzlebrake" just for aesthetic purposes, since I don't want to change my original (very good) barrel. I have some drawings of it, that I can share, if you have interest.
Thank you for your techniques and examples!
Matheus

Anonymous said...

Nick, I really admire your work with this gun. You are truly a craftsman. I only recently got into airgunning and my first purchase was a 1377c. Initially I was disappointed in my accuracy, but after some break-in and maybe a little technique learned I think this is probably the most fun to shoot, of the THREE airguns I now own. I want to put a longer barrel on my 1377 but crosman won't sell it to me unless I know the part number. ditto the trigger shoe and muzzle break. I can do without the trigger shoe and muzzle break (for the time being) but I would really like the extended barrel NOW. I know it must seem like a mundane question but if you could tell me the part number or numbers of .177 barrels that fit this gun with little to (hopefully) no modifications needed? I noticed you fitted a 24" with no mention of technical details, which are usually ample. This leads me to believe it must be a simple swap. I thought 18" would be ideal but whatever fits easiest would be best, as I don't have your tools or more importantly your skills. Again crosman won't sell me anything without a part number.(?!)
Thanks for any help you guys might be able to provide. I really like the blog. Keep up the good work.
--Vinny

Felice Luftschein said...

http://www.network54.com/Realm/adminhtml/FAQ.html#Replacement Barrels

Shows the barrels you can order from Crosman. They are a simple swap, generally speaking.

Anonymous said...

That's exactly what I was looking for, God bless you Madam. I don't know how I missed it. I think my google is broken.