Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Prototype Barrel Band for Derrick

Derrick wants some custom barrel bands, so I worked on a prototype for him today.

Milling the bores and profile on the Taig CNC mill.

I used the "sprue" technique to fixture the band.

The rough band.

Derrick wanted two setscrews 30 degrees each from the centerline. This meant setting it up 41 degrees and 45 minutes referenced off the flat side of the band. Time to pull out the trusty Starrett vernier protractor. I bought it many years ago at an estate sale that was coincedental to my birthday for $35.00. It must have been 1994 or 1995 depending on whether the sale was a Friday or a Saturday. But again, I digress.

I calculated the distance from the edge of that lug to the drill position and used an edge finder (once again) to find that reference edge.

The drill bit, she was not cutting. Why? because she is a left hand drill bit. Now labelled as such and squirreled away with the other left hand bits.

Now one hole was drilled.

The setup repeated and the other hole drilled.

The hole through the lug was drilled.

Tapping the setscrew holes.

All done. Those are the shortest setscrews I have. Now I have to mail it off to Derrick and see if it fits.

No comments: