Sunday, August 18, 2024

Barrel Sleeve for the Marksman 56-FTS Part 2

I'm still stuck on terminology.  This isn't really a barrel shroud is it?  I'm pretty sure that shroud term usually refers to a cover that protects the user from a hot barrel.  I like "sleeve" since what I'm going to make just slips over and covers.

Before I start with the actual milling of the barrel sleeve, I need to knock out a sling swivel stud that will attach to my soon to be cobbled sleeve.  

Shown this process before for the IZH 61, so I'm gonna be glossing a bit.  



 















Looks like a piece of 3/8 (0.375") drill rod.  This'll do.  This went into the lathe and I turned down the end to 5mm.  




















So I could thread it M5x.8mm



















Taig Lathe tailstock die holder in action.  Using this aligns the thread.

























Faced off the end of the thread and added a small chamfer. This thread is going to be too long for the still to be made barrel sleeve/shroud, but I'm planning ahead for the machining four or five steps away from now.  I'll need to hold the swivel stud when the opposite end gets finished.    

















Turned down the body of the stud.


















Into a 5C work holding collet.



















And a 5C square collet block





















A quick positioning stop was set up so I could flip the collet block over and maintain lateral position after milling the flat on the first side.


















Milled both sides to fit a QD rifle sling.





















For the through hole for the sling swivel, an edge finder was used to get to centerline.




















Spotted and drilled.




















So, now I'm here and I made sure that a few different brands of QD rifle swivels all fit the new sling stud.  Actually, I did the test fits while still set up for the drilling operation on the mill. There is/was a couple thou difference between all my different QD rifle sling swivels.   


















While back, I made a bunch of screw thread holders from 9/16" hex stock.  Made about 8 or 10 in all the  common small sized metric and SAE thread pitches so I wouldn't have to grab and damage threads with the lathe chuck.










These screw holders should've been one of my first lathe projects.   They're not as accurate in concentricity as they would be if made from round stock, but they're more that good enough for most projects and the 9/16' OD makes them perfect for a wrench, vise or that three-jaw chuck.












Rough cut the end then into the lathe and turned the head to final length.













Deburred all the sharp edges and gave it a quick polish.













A bit of cold blue and--aside from the still-too-long thread--she's done.

Next up: Milling the shroud sleeve.

Check back, I'll have something up in a couple days.  






No comments: