Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Disassembling an IZH Baikal 513M, Part 3

On I go...

Rear bushing and washer...

Spring guide and washers.

One steel washer and one polymer washer, presumably to tame the vibration. It's looking like the only lube IZH uses is oil, so I feel good about deciding to lube the rifle properly.

I found the piston rod spring, "piston sear" and balls just sitting inside the main spring.

The sear (not to be confused with the trigger sear) parts.

The spring, oily and covered with dirty corrosion?

I tried as best I could to get that pin out but I couldn't. I didn't want to break anything so it's going to stay there. The pin retains both the piston head and piston rod.

Another steel and then polymer washer.

The piston seal is fine, you can see where it hits the transfer port. Like most IZH/Baikal airguns this one came with a spare seal, spring and a bonus of two more sear balls.

So the piston sear fits under spring tension into the piston rod.

And the balls go in the hole.

But how do I get the whole thing back together? This Russian Airgun Forum post had a hint... the piston rod bushing has a slit and can be expanded over the larger diameter end of the piston rod.

The bushing covers the ball holes, retaining everything.

That can now be slid into the spring guide.

Which pushes the bushing off of the end, and onto the middle of the rod, where I first found it.

And everything stays together. We'll see if it works as smoothly when I'm putting it all back together. I'm still a a little fuzzy on the ball sear mechanism. But the rifle is apart and that's 1/3 of the job done! (1/3 boring: deburring, cleaning and lubing, 1/3 reassembly)...


Fused said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out. I've been thinking of a 513M because of the power and accuracy, but have been weary because EVERYONE talks about the harsh firing. I'm curious if you can tune it out. If you can, it may be a real winner.


Felice Luftschein said...

Yeah, it is a tad harsh. Adding the rubber recoil pad really helped. The original was hard plastic. I think that if I use a modicum of spring tar it won't lose too much power but will definitely tame it a bit. The existing lube couldn't have been thinner (being oil). We'll see!