Friday, June 18, 2010

Crosman SA6 Reassembly & Repair

Just fixing a few problems and getting it running...

I bought this music wire at a yard sale a few months ago. I knew it would come in handy...

I wound it, tensioning by hand, around a thicker piece of music wire in the cordless drill.

I closed the ends with a carved up piece of weed whacker cord. Not elegant but it works.

Fancy spring clip for holding in the pellets. This is how it's supposed to look (Thanks co2airguns!)

I squished a 009 o-ring into the bottom of the valve end. Derrick's SA6 had a groove on the inside and seals around the CO2 cart, mine was the face seal type. I ended up replacing this with a 008 o-ring.

You can see there's a hole in the valve body here to register with the frame casting.

Which you can see here.

Valve and cylinder in place.

I snipped a spare spring and found a ball.

To mount here as a cylinder detent.

I wire brushed the CO2 clamp screw.

Putting all the trigger parts together. A slave pin holds the hammer in place.

See where the pawl goes.

Trigger and spring.

Can you have too many views? Probably...

I endedup cutting a smaller diameter spring as the ball got swallowed up by the larger one.

In place.

Inserting the hammer pivot screw, pushing the slave pin out the other side and keeping it all together.

CO2 cart in place. I pierced the cart by shooting the gun and gas whooshed out the barrel. That means the valve seal is bad.

So I made a tool to press out the valve stem.

The tool bears on the shoulder so the piercing pin tip doesn't get damaged or bent (it's pretty thin).

Works great.

The valve stem apart. I made a new seal using the same tool as I used on the S&W79.

Pressed back together.
The gun works! It's fun to shoot but not powerful or accurate. Did I mention it was fun? Well it is. I feel like a real cowboy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I picked up a couple of these made in the JC Higgins brand for Sears. If the retainer spring fails, I've heard of some using an appropriately sized o-ring instead.
-dennis

Anonymous said...

email me at : SolidSnake1973@hotmail.com

I will show you how to get the highest FPS power performance with a single modification , no tools used

+ i will show you how to get better accuracy

I got around 440 FPS from my .22 SA6

Anonymous said...

Somehow I doubt that. Having built quite a few of these I can say that even getting up to 400 FPS with using tools is pretty optimistic. Accuracy wise a couple of O-rings around the barrel seems to help.

cdnairgunner said...

I love working on these old Crosmans! The internet is full of information on them but this blog is where I come if I am stumped. I have used it many times. Here's a link to some of the wheelguns I have worked on. There is a couple of pages of Peacemakers, SA6's, 38T's, etc.

http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic49034.html

Thanks for keeping such an informative blog going!