Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Crosman 147 BP Stock Refinish Part 3 Final

Back to the Crosman 147 BP.

I allowed plenty of drying time for the Rust-Oleum on the metal. I gave it the better part of a week before really handling anything. Overkill, but other things came up as they will.

Since I was doing a quick and dirty job of this one, I used some Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish. Applied a very small amount on a rag and buffed out the finish on the barrel and the compression tube.

It didn't remove much. The epoxy paint held up beautifully.

Need to reinstall the roll pins to attach the pump arm to the lever.

Found a couple transfer punches in the correct diameter to use as guides.

Test fit.

One punch in place.

The second. A roll pin is held against the end of the guide then pushed through. The guide pin then backs out as the roll pin is advanced, leaving the holes lined up as it exits.

Then a few taps with another punch sets the roll pin. Quit when it looks centered.

Lather, rinse and repeat.

Pinned.

The 147 BP's internals were reassembled. Check here for instructions.

Interesting how the grain is continued all the way through the stock. Of course, that's the way to do it. I like the rounded forend.

A Weihrauch buttpad on an old Crosman. Now you know why I don't show my face around the vintage forums much. "Heathen!"

The grain contrast is quite striking.

Another recessed stock mounting bolt. This one came first.

Left the sliding breech cover blued. Actually, I think it was probably re-blued months ago.

Looking back, this looks more like a restoration with a better butt pad. I'm glad the grain took the color so well. The filled grain alone was reason enough to tackle the refinish. Since the gun stock no longer looks like the wood is from an old orange crate, it's much more likely to get used.

Ever wonder if Crosman knew back in the 1950's and 60's that they were making airguns that we'd still find so desirable 50 years later?

3 comments:

Phil B. said...

Nice job Derrick. I am experimanting with the epoxy paint. Phil B.

derrick38 said...

Phil,

With the experience you've got, I don't think it'll be much of an experiment. Send me pics when you're done.

Derrick

Chris said...

Top notch restoration work as always! You do a wonderful job of breathing new life into those old classics. I'm a big fan!