Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Resealing the Smith and Wesson Model 79G, Addendum

I noticed that some gas was coming out of the breech when firing, bypassing the bolt. Then I remembered that I had not changed the bolt o-ring! I didn't want to tear the pistol all the way down again so I decided to replace the o-ring in place.

The bolt open.

Two dental picks carefully extract the o-ring.

The o-ring removed.

New o-ring on the left, slightly larger.

Massaged back into place. I basically got it halfway on and then closed the bolt which seated it.
Now the bolt does not show evidence of allowing gas by.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way - what diameter have these seals ... if you remember please give more info! Thank you!

Felice Luftschein said...

I don't remember, but you should be able to just reverse engineer the dimensions from the valve.