Haven't had much to report lately. The dearth of posts probably gave it away. I've mentioned before that it's difficult to post when we're just doing repairs or minor tweaks that seem mundane. The house has also been demanding attention this year. The roof and deck both needed some love. The basement is now calling for some fresh paint. Airgun projects sometimes get back-burnered.
Nevertheless, I do want to get something new posted.
Made a couple tweaks recently to the old Walther LG55 I got from Volvo. I de-glossed the stock with a very fine bronze wool pad. Didn't even touch the base color, just removed most of the sheen and gloss.
I also had another opportunity to have more metal work FNC black nitrided by H&M.
Didn't have a lot of notice, so I was scrambling to find something to add to the batch. The Walther's barrel sleeve made the cut since it had a bit of rust freckling, scratches and some discoloration from the last 60 or more years of wear and tear. The constant handling of break barrel guns also makes them prime candidates for ferritic nitro carburizing. New life with an almost bulletproof new finish.
Sorry for the lack of pics of the work I did. I polished off all the bluing and took the barrel shoud to about a 1200 grit polish. Then I masked off a bit more than the lower half of the barrel. I then bead-blasted down the length of the top of the shroud--essentially the sighting line. Removed the tape and just got it wrapped up in time to ship to H&M. A couple days later, I had a black two-tone barrel sleeve.
Can you see the two finishes? Click on the picture(s) to enlarge it for a better look
Must've shot these pics three times. Can't get the light to cooperate. The top of the shroud between the front and rear sights now has a fine matte black finish. The rest of the barrel looks like polished blued steel.








No comments:
Post a Comment