Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tech Force TF79 / AR2078A Buttplate Update

Been meaning to taper the lower blocks of the TF79's buttplate.  Finally got on it.
















Yeah, it's too blocky.  Kept putting it off as other things rose to the top of the pile for various reasons.  Looked at it the other day, but didn't think I could mill the angles into the semi-finished blocks with the clamping equipment on hand.


















Then, I wondered if an insert vise would do the trick.  Handy work holding devices.  Got a couple in various sizes.


















Scribed a ten degree taper with a protractor. 


















The block sat a bit too low in the vise.  Settled on using an adjustable parallel.


















The parallel sits in the bed of the vise and the work is set on top.


















Like so.


















With a protractor, I set up the insert vise at a ten degree angle in the milling vise.



















Made passing cuts with a center cutting end mill until hitting the scribed line.


















Some Anchor Lube kept the aluminum chips from welding to the cutter. 


















Flip the part over and flipped the vise to cut the other side.


























Once the angles were cut in all three plates, I had to deepen the counter bores for the clamping screws and re-adjust bolt lengths.



















Reinstalled.



















A bit more svelte than before.
































































Relatively happy with it.  I'll probably put a matte finish on the sides of the plates when it's not 100 degrees out in the garage.

More soon.

1 comment:

jdub said...

This doesn't have anything to do with this blog entry but it has to go somewhere. Thank you all for a great blog! I came across it several months ago when I picked up a new airgun and started getting more involved with the hobby again.

Since that time I've been slowly going back through your entries for the past several years and it has been thoroughly enjoyable! In fact, despite the fact that I have no machining ability at all it has become my favorite airgun blog.

It is very rare to find a blog that is 1) very well written (I'm not a grammar fanatic but I do enjoy succinct descriptions, clever writing, and spell-checked work). 2) documented with plenty of photos and 3) full of interesting tips.

Despite the fact that I only have a handful of airguns I have been delighted to see almost all of them end up as subject matter here. My trusty 1984 Daisy 717, my transitional Sheridan rifle, the IZH-61, and Beeman P17, as well as a wide range of 13xx and 22xx Crosmans. Much of what you do is beyond my capabilities but armed with a drill-press, bandsaw, and wood lathe, along with a decent set of gunsmith tools there is plenty that I *can* attempt.

Thanks for the motivation to make my airguns a little better than they are now.

Jerry Russell
Somewhere in the vast flatness of North Texas.