After the maple spacers were dry, I cut them to the profile of the grips with the scroll saw.
This was supposed to be simple, but the casting seam around the grip frame was really bothering me for some reason so it had to go.
I'll take it to a higher grit later then repaint it.
And what is this second hole for exactly?
Mixed up some J-B Weld epoxy.
Backed with electrical tape so it doesn't sag inward. Overfilled it and let it dry for a day.
Then sanded flush.
The mystery hole is gone.
Fitted the rear of the right grip panel to the backstrap.
Penciled in a guide and started removing wood.
The belt sander makes for pretty quick stock removal.
Burned through several sanding drums. 3/4" 50-grit is probably my favorite for shaping thumb rests.
When I started shaping the left panel, the top edge came off. Happens. Sometimes there's a hairline crack in the grain. It's no big deal.
Yellow wood glue, Gorilla glue, epoxy would all suffice the repair. I went with a Titebond brand cyanoacrylate for speed.
No overnight drying times.
Overfilled it to soak it into the wood.
A bit of sanding and it'll be pretty much invisible.
Getting there. I'll need to tweak the fit here and there to my hand as well as do some final fitting to the grip frame--then some more sanding. Oh, and then re-spray the grip frame...
Check back soon.