Thursday, April 14, 2011

Airgun Finds at the Toys that Shoot Show Findlay, Ohio.

Not quite ready to get back to the Haenel 303-Super just yet, so I thought I'd share some of my finds from the Toys that Shoot Airgun show held last Saturday.

Bought several items from Ted Summers. Among them were a couple diopter sights.

Didn't know what kind this was at the time, but the quality was obvious. Turns out it's a relatively recent one from Weihrauch. Guess it's about 20 years old.

The front stop pin was missing. The pin threads into the sight body and a post fits into one of the 2 (or 3) recoil stop holes in the top of the compression tube. I had a Weihrauch scope stop in my parts box and the pin fit the sight perfectly. Mounted this up on my HW35E.

The second diopter was missing the aperture. It's completely unmarked but also conveys a sense of high quality manufacture.
Update from reader Duskwight: This is from Russian manufacturer IZH. It's typically found on their model 7-4 biathlon rifle. Thanks for the info.

Anyway, the aperture thread is M9 x 1mm--not the typical M9.5 x 1mm. Wait, I don't mean to suggest that M9.5 is a "typical" size--it's certainly not--but many of the high end sight companies have adopted this oddball thread size as a standard for the apertures. On this sight, there's not enough metal in the sight block to tap the M9 hole to the "standard" size. Already checked. I'll probably just turn a replacement aperture. The M9 die is already on the bench.

Yet another Crosman 2240. I don't recall who I got this one from. It was too inexpensive to pass up and I always have something I want to try with one of these as a base gun.

This was sitting on Don Raitzer's table. It's a Crosman 116. It's filled from a separate CO2 tank. Given the cosmetic impression, I almost passed on it, but the grips are in almost perfect shape and the action functioned flawlessly. The price was so right, couldn't lose. I got it home, found a tank and it gassed right up. Been holding ever since. It also hits to point of aim at 35 feet.

A holster for a Predom Lucznik.

Ted Summers was responsible for this IZH-60, too. He had a pile of these at the end of his table at fire sale pricing. Unsure where he got them, but he warned that they all needed internal work. Finally, Ted's speaking our language! This gun was on Nick's hit list so I found the best looking one and bought it for him.

But Nick had to pay my finder's fee--the metal cocking handle is going on my IZH-61 to replace the plastic one.

No sights. I have a front tunnel from my IZH-61, but I don't think it'll fit. The muzzle is finished differently from my newer model. I'll send it along when I ship the gun.

Forend cover is missing. Nick'll have fun with this one.

This .177 cal IZH-SJ22 was the big score for Nick. John Groenwald had it in the rack.

I can see now why this was on his list. It's got great lines.

The set back on the trigger makes the gun very comfortable to shoot.

Like the IZH-60, this one also needs work. It won't push a pellet down the barrel. I'm guessing that the piston seal is toast.

Raitzer got me again with this Belgian Hy-Score in .22 cal. I'd look at the gun, walk away, walk a lap of the show, look at the gun...always hoping someone else would buy it. In the end, I was glad it was still there.



This scratch is about the worst of the stock damage. I'll do minimal repair to this gun.

The checkering is everywhere. Literally, every single place you touch the gun is checkered.

Ha! Checkered.

On the way home from Findlay, I stopped at the Medina County gun show to pick up this .22 cal TF79 target gun from Guy Guzzo. I posted his Walther LG55 a few weeks ago and he worked out one heck of a deal on this gun as a thank you.

Really a nice rifle. The action is based on the old Crosman 160.

This model runs on two 12g Co2 cartridges or it can be bulk-filled.

Still has the preservative on it. Really appreciate it, Guy. I can't thank you enough.

Now, if I can just get them to hold the airgun show closer to home and 6 times a year...

5 comments:

Slinging Lead said...

Derrick

Another great post but, quit bragging! Not all of us can be jet setting to the 4 corners for airgun shows. Just razzing you.

Why so reluctant on the Belgian Hy-Score? I know you hold Belgium in as high esteem as I do. I would have pounced on it first thing because they don't make em like that anymore. But then, there is probably nothing wrong with it, which makes it boring for you guys. No gun is fun unless you can unleash your machining wizardry upon it.

What do you think of the trigger? Mine is super smooth... until you cock the rifle. Is a tear down in the future? I will be sitting in the front row.

Thanks again to you and Nick, for a website unmatched anywhere!

your #1 fan,

Slinging Lead

Anonymous said...

Unknown diopter looks like Soviet one for "BI" series biathlon rifles.
I've got its twin brother in store.

duskwight

Anonymous said...

Derrick,

That second unknown diopter looks like Soviet type made for "BI" biathlon .22 rifle series. I've got its twin brother in store.

duskwight

Anonymous said...

And yes, it's Soviet. It has markings in Cyrillic - Л and П, left and right respectively.
Congratulations, that's a very good well-made sturdy stuff.

duskwight

derrick38 said...

SL,
I was reluctant because I'd already bought 4 guns and was about to go pick up that TF79. Machining wizardry? Are you sure you're reading THIS blog? The trigger pull is a bit longer and heavier than I think it should be. Could be the position of the trigger. It sits a bit too far forward in the guard. The IZH SJ22 has the trigger in a much more reachable location.


duskwight,
You nailed it! It's an Izhmesh target sight from one of their 7-4 biathlon rifles. Thanks for that info.