Friday, December 26, 2008

Disassembling the Crosman 707 Rifle, Part 2

On to the valves...

You can see the o-ring split when I tried to remove it. A good hint that the o-ring has seen better days.

The cir-clip was removed.

The valve guts.

The valve "stem" 700-39. The seal face looked ok, so I decided to try reusing it. There was no obvious way to remove the steel button, so I would likely have had to drill out the back of the stem and press the button out. If I have to, I will, but if it holds gas then no need.

The piercing assembly.

The roll pin was punched out.

The components.

The o-ring also split when removed.

The tool I made to work on the 38T valve fit the slots in the piercing assembly as well!

Once removed I fished out the small o-ring that seals the piercing pin. It too will be replaced.

The sear. Notice the complex cutouts in the stock. There is no trigger safety on this rifle, instead you can lock the bolt when cocked, against firing.

One of the ugliest stocks ever. Why Crosman went with this plank-like look is beyond me.

2 comments:

KHE said...

This is a fantastic set of posts. They've been a huge help to me in rebuilding my 707 that I purchased when I was about 10 or so. Thanks!

Regarding the valve stem... I think you are implying that the steel button would have to be removed to change the seal (which I guess is an o-ring). Am I understanding things correctly?

I would probably have (foolishly) gouged out the seal expecting to simply coerce a replacement back in. I hate to put it back together without changing that seal, but there's no way I'm drilling then pushing the pin out unless I absolutely have to.

Felice Luftschein said...

Yeah, that was an educated guess, but it's hard to say exactly how it's constructed. It would help to have a friend with an x-ray machine.
Nick