Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Small Puzzle

So the stock screws in the forearm of the Original (Diana) 45 bear on the wood of the stock. I want to make some nice screw cups that will spread the load, as well as looking pretty.

The first problem is that the holes seem off center. I can of course make off center screw cups, but I have a feeling it would look odd. It's possible that the screws can be tweaked a bit to center, or I can enlarge and center the counter bored hole.

The other side. Now in order to figure out what would be the best option I have to remove the action from the stock. Will I have enough wood to remove a bit more? Is the action fully bedded, etc?

The problem is that there is a pin that goes through the action in the rear, through two washers in counterbored holes. Now it's entirely possible I can just drift the pin out and remove the action but it's also possible that drifting the pin out will cause springs, tiny parts and other items to fly out as soon as the action is removed from the stock...so I have to do a bit of research.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just go for it Nick. What's the worst that can happen?

Derrickckck

Nick Carter said...

The great minds on the Vinatge forum said no worries, just press it out and nothing will fly out...so next chance I get, that's what I'll do...

Anonymous said...

Oh. Well, forget it if nothing is gonna happen. I wanted to read about misery, suffering and the eventual triumph of human spirit and innovation. Nothing happening sounds kinda boring in comparison to that. Maybe you can embellish?

Derrriririckck

rik said...

wow,, I've got an original 45 which i bought in the early 80's...however the rear pin and "washers" which you describe here are missing!..Does anyone know where or how i could get a replacement part?..many thanks rich

rik said...

its actually the washers i require that fit in the counter bored holes as i have the pin!...

Nick Carter said...

Rik,
I'll measure the washers when I take the stock off.

Nick

rik said...

Thanks Nick, Also I'm not really sure how these "washers" are held in place either!..so be interesting to find out...Thanks again Rich