Saturday, May 10, 2008

Disassembling a Webley Hurricane

I took apart the Hurricane Derrick sent me. I followed the disassembly and reassembly instructions in the manual. I wish every airgun came with as good instructions. I couldn't find a copy online, and there isn't one up on Webley's website, but they may be able to help if you contact them. They do say they "plan" to have historic manuals up at some point...

The Hurricane.

The other side...

These five roll pins are removed with parts in this order.

A spare pin pinch was "precision ground" down by spinning in a drill against the belt grinder. The diameter should be .089" (2.25mm) diameter.

Pins 1 and 2 removed, the trigger guard and sear spring.

Pin #3, and the trigger comes out.

Pins 4 , then 5 and the sear comes out.

The safety is removed.

Then another pin to remove the front shroud.

The pivot pin is tapped out just enough to remove the barrel linkage, but still retain the spring guide.

Then fully removed to allow the spring and guide to come out. It will shoot forward a bit so it's best to have it pushing against something so to control the release of the spring.

The piston was persuaded out. I had a little lube on it.

Then the barrel latch pin was pushed out.

The sight was removed by unscrewing the elevation screw, then removing the two screws that attach it to the pistol.

The rubber breech seal was pried out with a small screwdriver. It had been mounted backwards, not that it probably makes much of a difference.

The spring guide seemed a bit rough.

So I spun it in the lathe and lightly sanded it to polish.

The pivot pin seemed worn so I found a dowel pin of the same diameter and turned it to length (carbide tooling...)

The gun assembles almost in reverse of the dismantling. Pretty easy. I just lightly lubed that which needed lubing and took out a few burrs on the cocking slot.
The gun chronied almost exactly the same as before disassembly, but seemed a bit smoother...
a bit...it is a Hurricane after all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick,

It would be great if all the airgun mfgs. in business today would put all the service manuals up on their web sites. Crosman is actually way ahead of everyone else in that regard. Now if we could just order small parts from them online...

Derrick

Anonymous said...

Dang it, Nick. The wrong people saw my post. and I just got blacklisted!

Now there's a dark sedan w/tinted windows outside my house and I hear a funny clicking on the phone line...

Derrick (not my real name)

Woody said...

Fantastic - Just what I was looking for, Nick!!!

This article has helped answer several questions I've had about my Hurricane. I recently acquired an original 1978 model and I was a bit wary of doing anything to it, but this has helped tremendously.

Thanks ever so much for sharing your work!!

Cheers,
Woody.

Nick Carter said...

Glad I could help Woody!

andyturnbull22000 said...

just the blog i was looking for, i received my hurricane in 1977 and used it off and on for several years and then oiled it and boxed it. Now my 15 yr old has expressed and interest so i have bought the parts to reinvigorate this old beauty and you sir have shown me the path.............halayula!

Anonymous said...

thanks buddy for your efforts to show us how to dismantle the webley Hurricane,
this is really great that someone spends lots of time to help others. by the way, I bought this gem in an antique market (Kempton park) in London on 13/08/2013, the guy was asking for £25 but with a bit of haggling I bought it for £12!. the gun is in great condition and I love it, your article with pictures is awesome, thanks again. javad

de Witt said...

I improved this gun's heavy trigger pull by polishing the sliding areas of the sear and the trigger to a sheen. Still feels like a crisp snap, only it happens at a far lower pressure.

Also, on my Turkish Tempest, the factory left the piston cilinder in rough shape. Multiple bouts of light sanding and polishing, followed by a re-lube with moly grease, made a tremendous difference as the gun now cocks a lot smoother. I also added a washer between the main barrel assembly and the big dowel pin to take out excessive play.